Advocacy and Court Accompaniment

Client Quote

“I didn’t even know where to start. My case manager helped me to file for an Order of Protection in Family Court and obtain custody of my children after I left my husband. She came with me to court for every one of my appearances and supported me throughout the whole process. I couldn’t be more thankful for the support I received; I couldn’t have done it by myself.” ~ Domestic Violence Client

Our advocates are ready to help you take the first steps in leaving an abusive relationship. We accept phone calls and walk-ins Monday-Friday from 8 am-5 pm. If you need help after hours, call our 24-hour confidential hotline at (585) 343-7513.

An advocate can assist you in filing the following:

  • Family Offense Petitions
  • Custody/Visitation Petitions
  • Support Petitions
  • Violations of Court Order
  • Modification of Custody

YWCA of Genesee County collaborates with the Legal Aid Society of Rochester, which provides free legal services to those who qualify.

Our advocates will come to court with you and support you during this process. You are NOT alone!

In addition to filing for a Family Court Order of Protection, a survivor has the right to contact the police in order to report the crime, pursue criminal charges or request a criminal Order of Protection.

All services are FREE and confidential!