Frances G. Francis lived during a time when women’s rights were exceedingly restricted; property ownership, voting and higher education are just a few things that were off limits. Frances wanted to lead the force for change. In 1909, Frances and several like-minded women of Batavia, set forth to create an organization to support women. They faced incredible resistance, but their persistence and grit helped them face seemingly insurmountable challenges. Finally, on February 2, 1910, the “Batavia YWCA” was signed on as a Charter Member of the National YWCA. Frances served as president for the first 10 years of the YWCA’s existence. We are forever indebted to Frances and the pioneer women of Batavia for having the courage and conviction to stand up for women – their legacy lives 114 years later.
In honor of Frances and all of the incredible women that have left a legacy in Genesee County,
the YWCA is holding a Purse Designing Competition.
- Create a One-Of-A-Kind Purse, this can be a purse you design from scratch or an old purse you chose to recreate.
- You may use any materials you wish, the more creative the better.
- Submit your design to the YWCA of Genesee County, 301 North St. Batavia, NY 14020
- Purse submissions due by March 29, 2024 Entries will be posted live for voting until April 15, 2024
- All entries will be displayed April 28 at the YWCA’s Women of Inspiration Awards.
- The winner will be announced live April 28 at the Women of Inspiration Awards. Click here for more information on this event.
- They will receive $500 and an article in the Daily News, WBTA and on our Social Media
- The chosen design will become the new YWCA signature purse, coined Frances’s Purse. This “traveling purse” will be used throughout the community to increase awareness and fundraising to support our most critical programs.