Frances G. Francis was the founder and first president of the YWCA of Genesee County. In a time when women did not have the right to vote or own property, Frances was determined to establish an organization devoted to empowering women. In 1910, her perseverance resulted in the establishment of the YWCA which has brought over 110 years of programming and services to women, children, and families in Genesee County.
Frances G Francis Scholarship Award
The YWCA will honor her extraordinary achievements by awarding one $500.00 scholarship to a woman of any age who is committed to eliminating racism and empowering women and who is entering or returning to higher education in the fields of Women Studies, Human Services, Legal /Political Science or STEM Career fields.
• Applicant must be a Genesee County Resident
• Applicant must be enrolled in one of the designated fields of study.
• Applicant must show proof of acceptance at an accredited college or university and enrolled in or matriculated in an eligible program/major.
• Applicant must provide academic history such as high school and/or college transcripts.
• Applicant must provide two letters of recommendation from someone who knows the applicant’s work/volunteer/academic history. Letters from relatives will not be accepted.
• Applicant must provide an essay that addresses educational and employment objectives and how they are committed to the elimination of racism and the empowerment of women. Financial need, volunteerism, employment history and civic involvement will be given careful consideration.
• The scholarship recipient will be announced at Women of Inspiration Brunch on April 29, 2023 upon verification of acceptance into an accredited college or university.
• The scholarship monies will be awarded upon completion of the fall semester. The award recipient must provide a copy of their transcript demonstrating at least a 2.0 GPA.
*Staff and Board members of the YWCA and their families are not eligible to apply*
Submit application letter by March 1, 2023
to Scholarship Committee
301 North Street
Batavia, NY 14020